Monday, July 3, 2017

The Cruelty by Scott Bergstrom



                                              🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
When Gwendolyn Bloom’s father vanishes, she sets off on a journey she never bargained for. Traveling under a new identity in a world of assassins, spies, and criminal masterminds, she uncovers a disturbing truth. To bring her father back alive, she must become every bit as cruel as the men holding him captive.

The main character was naive for someone who had been around violence and seen so much of the world. It annoyed me at times because I felt she should have known better. She kept this naivety throughout the book and did not grow much as a character with the exception of becoming tougher over the course of the book.

I thought that the pacing was well done and there was just enough action and mystery in the story. I thought that it was interesting how the book was divided into sections depending on where the main character found herself at the moment. I believe that this helped with the pacing as well because it wouldn't have been as good if she stayed in the same place the whole book. She encountered different trials in each place and had to adapt to them.

I also loved that the author made Gwendolyn vulnerable even after her training because it wouldn't be realistic if she was suddenly a master in fighting/ going undercover after three weeks. It made it easier to immerse myself in the story. She was a very strong character and I have a weakness for strong, kick-butt heroines!

This book reminds me a lot of the movie Taken 2 with the exception of the daughter going after the father and her not having a background in spy tactics. If you liked Taken 2, you will probably enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment