Thursday, July 27, 2017

Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic


                                                   🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
Austin Parker is on a journey to bring truth, beauty, and meaning to his life.
Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. The doctors say his chances of surviving are slim to none even with treatment, so he’s decided it’s time to let go.
But before he goes, Austin wants to mend the broken fences in his life. So with the help of his best friend, Kaylee, Austin visits every person in his life who touched him in a special way. He journeys to places he’s loved and those he’s never seen. And what starts as a way to say goodbye turns into a personal journey that brings love, acceptance, and meaning to Austin’s life.


I've been wanting to read this book for a while but I wanted to work up my courage first. I knew that this book was going to be difficult for me considering people I've been close to that have passed away due to cancer. 

I have to say that I was really disappointed. I wanted more from this book. The author wrote it in such a way that it felt like paint by numbers or like she was attempting to hit certain bullet points. Where was the emotion? The heartache? I wanted to connect to the story and feel something but I didn't. I did up crying when I finished because I'm not a robot. When something sad happens, I get upset like anyone else. 

I didn't connect emotionally with any if the characters...not even Austin. I don't feel like I knew enough about any of them to care because what the author did share about the characters was shallow facts. There were some difficult topics that were brought up in the book but it felt like they were just glossed over rather than delving more deeply. 

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when I can't connect to characters. It is hard to like the story. I like paint/color by numbers.

    ReplyDelete