Saturday, July 15, 2017

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brody Ashton, and Jodi Meadows


                                              🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
This comical, fantastical, romantical, New York Times bestselling, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey is “an uproarious historical fantasy that’s not to be missed” (Publishers Weekly, starred review).
In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind YA fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history—because sometimes history needs a little help.
At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren’t for Jane to worry about. Jane gets to be Queen of England.
Like that could go wrong.


This book completely lived up to my expectations! When I read the synopsis, my immediate thoughts were that it sounded unique and funny. I also love Brodi Ashton's work so I knew I had to read this book that she helped to write.
There were many things that made this story different from others that are out there. For one, the authors actually speak to the reader periodically throughout the book. I thought it was a bit bothersome. I felt like it kept me from being fully involved in the book as a reader because their thoughts and historical facts kept me from fully delving in. There were also times throughout the book where the authors quoted movies and poems that they clearly didn't come up with which bothered me as well.
It was interesting how certain characters were able to transform into animals and the troubles that accompanied them regarding that. It was intriguing to see that in play regarding a time period that seemed so far beyond that sort of thing. It reminded me of Amy Harmon's book The Bird and the Sword. Overall, the book was good. It kept my attention regardless of it being set in a time period that usually wouldn't interest me. As I have said in other reviews, I don't love historical fiction. This book was so fantastical that it didn't feel like historical fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment