Thursday, July 6, 2017

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

                                             🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
Two teens must learn the “art of killing” in this Printz Honor–winning book, the first in a chilling new series from Neal Shusterman, author of the New York Times bestselling Unwind dystology.

A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery: humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now Scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.


I tend to not like books that have received awards because like with movies that get awards I feel that they are over-hyped and loved for their pretentiousness. I wanted to like this book not only because the plot was so unique but because I've read another book by this author that I really enjoyed. While I wouldn't describe this book as being action packed or a thrill ride I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was different not only from other books in the same genre but it also made me think about important concepts. Concepts that include life, death, pain, and joy. What becomes of people that don't have to age or get sick? Is there less emphasis put of the importance of life and making every moment count? I pondered these and many other questions as I read Scythe and it made me it enjoy it more.

I started off thinking that maybe the main characters would be whiny teenagers like I have read in other books recently but was proved wrong quickly. While the author maintains realistic teenage tendencies, they appear to be very mature for their age and are able to ask the hard questions of their superiors throughout the story. Citra and Rowan don't fully comprehend or appreciate the role of the scythe and are constantly questioning the motives of those that take up the mantle of the role.

I thought that I had the whole story figured out but Neal Shusterman managed to surprise me many times throughout the book. I appreciated the thought that went into this book. It was not trying too hard to be unique and managed to have balance between making the reader think and not be preachy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment