Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Nemesis by Brendan Reichs


                                               🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
 Synopsis:
He killed me. He killed me not. He killed me.

It’s been happening since Min was eight. Every two years, on her birthday, a strange man finds her and murders her in cold blood. But hours later, she wakes up in a clearing just outside her tiny Idaho hometown—alone, unhurt, and with all evidence of the horrifying crime erased.

Across the valley, Noah just wants to be like everyone else. But he’s not. Nightmares of murder and death plague him, though he does his best to hide the signs. But when the world around him begins to spiral toward panic and destruction, Noah discovers that people have been lying to him his whole life. Everything changes in an eye blink.

For the planet has a bigger problem. The Anvil, an enormous asteroid threatening all life on Earth, leaves little room for two troubled teens. Yet on her sixteenth birthday, as she cowers in her bedroom, hoping not to die for the fifth time, Min has had enough. She vows to discover what is happening in Fire Lake and uncovers a lifetime of lies: a vast conspiracy involving the sixty-four students of her sophomore class, one that may be even more sinister than the murders.


I enjoyed the story-line in the beginning. The idea that someone was murdering Min every two years on her birthday fascinated me. I wanted to know why, how, and if she ever tried to defend herself from her attacker. The book focuses on this along with the background on Noah's story for about half of the book. I enjoyed that portion of the book but I wanted to know more than what happened on each birthday. As I continued on in the book, the author did explain things through breadcrumbs left in each chapter. This is where the book started to get a bit odd for me.

I agree with the other reviewers that the reveals from the halfway point through to the end of the book were weird. I'm not sure that I understand what the author was getting at. It didn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure that I liked that all that lead up in the book led to that climax. I didn't hate it and I think that I may read the sequel in order to get more information that the author will hopefully reveal. I think what bothered me the most about it was it felt like the author switched genres. For a portion of the book, it feels like a thriller and then it switches to something else that just doesn't fit (I would say what genre but I don't want to spoil anything).

I hated what happened with one of the characters. The author did a complete turn around with them as far as behavior and personality and I didn't like it at all. It didn't make any sense to me. Luckily, the book had redeeming qualities one of which being two of the other characters. I loved Min and Tack! Min had the will of the warrior! She reminded me of all the strong female characters from books that I love!!! She was intelligent and fierce!  Tack was hilarious, strong-willed, and gifted with words. He never backed down when he knew he stood for what was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment