Monday, January 22, 2018

The Valiant (The Valiant #1) by Lesley Livingston

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Princess. Captive. Gladiator.

Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king, the sister of the legendary warrior Sorcha, and the sworn enemy of Julius Caesar.

When Fallon was a child, Caesar’s armies invaded her homeland, and her beloved sister was killed in battle.

Now, on the eve of her seventeenth birthday, Fallon is eager to follow in her sister’s footsteps and earn her place in the fearsome Cantii war band. She never gets the chance.

Fallon is captured and sold to an elite training school for female gladiators—owned by none other than Julius Caesar. In a cruel twist of fate, the man who destroyed Fallon’s family might be her only hope of survival.

Now Fallon must overcome vicious rivalries and deadly fights—in and out of the arena. And perhaps the most dangerous threat of all: her forbidden yet irresistible feelings for Cai, a young Roman soldier.

Fallon was an interesting character. She was a warrior through and through. Throughout the book it was as if nothing could pierce her armor because she was made of steel. I was happy that the author was still able to have her be so strong but also likable. She cares about winning battles but also in justice, honor, and courage to do what is right for her goddess and her homeland. I felt badly for her because of what she went through in the book but I found that I wasn't able to emotionally connect with her or the story as easily as I have with other books. I'm not sure if it was due to her hardened nature as a warrior or if it was because the author doesn't really explain her past in much detail. I would have liked to have gotten to know other characters better in order to feel their loss as Fallon did. I think that it can be difficult when a character dies before the time line of the book begins or right when it begins because there is not very much time to establish relationships and background. I also had a hard time with the romance in this book because it seems rather quick after they meet and also due to what Fallon went through beforehand. I wouldn't say that it was insta-love but it was close. I would describe it more as insta-attraction that grew into curiosity. I don't feel that the book needed a romance in it because it didn't seem to fit with the tone of the book. I still enjoyed the story and thought that the writing was well done. The pacing was good and I enjoyed the parts where Fallon was training and fighting. I hope that there is more fighting in the sequel because I would have liked to have seen more in this book. 





No comments:

Post a Comment