Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Evernight (Evernight #1) by Claudia Gray

🌟🌟🌗 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

So...I've read all of Claudia Gray's other books but hadn't read the Evernight series yet. I love her other books but I was worried about reading this series because Evernight was her first book. In my experience, authors improve with each book that they write and I wasn't sure what her first book would be like in comparison but I took the plunge anyway. I am sad to say that I didn't love Evernight and I don't think that I will continue reading the series. The book started off well. I thought that even though the whole nightmare-vision idea has been done that Claudia Gray did a good job of using it to set the tone for the book and establish where Bianca's head is at. I liked Bianca at first because she seemed to be slightly awkward in social situations and felt out of place at Evernight Academy. I have felt like that many times so I felt like I had found a kindred spirit in Bianca. She changed so quickly in the book that I felt like I got whiplash. I didn't understand why the author would have things change so quickly for her not to mention that I didn't like how something about Bianca was revealed. I didn't feel like there were any hints given about that part of her so I felt like it was just sprung on me. There was also something that was revealed about Lucas that wasn't as surprising as Bianca's reveal but I'm not sure how I felt about it. I guess I just felt that the book needed more fine tuning. It felt as though there were holes in the plot and with the characters.

 

1 comment:

  1. I almost picked this one up at a thrift store the other day. I’m glad I didn’t now. Good to know her later books are much better. This one sounds like it was written too near the Twilight phase.

    ReplyDelete