Sunday, January 21, 2018

Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist #1) by Renee Ahdieh

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
The only daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has always known she’d been raised for one purpose and one purpose only: to marry. Never mind her cunning, which rivals that of her twin brother, Kenshin, or her skills as an accomplished alchemist. Since Mariko was not born a boy, her fate was sealed the moment she drew her first breath.

So, at just seventeen years old, Mariko is sent to the imperial palace to meet her betrothed, a man she did not choose, for the very first time. But the journey is cut short when Mariko’s convoy is viciously attacked by the Black Clan, a dangerous group of bandits who’ve been hired to kill Mariko before she reaches the palace.

The lone survivor, Mariko narrowly escapes to the woods, where she plots her revenge. Dressed as a peasant boy, she sets out to infiltrate the Black Clan and hunt down those responsible for the target on her back. Once she’s within their ranks, though, Mariko finds for the first time she’s appreciated for her intellect and abilities. She even finds herself falling in love—a love that will force her to question everything she’s ever known about her family, her purpose, and her deepest desires.

This book was amazing! From the first page I was hooked, wanting to know more until the very last page! I felt like a person starving person with the way that I devoured every word that Renee Ahdieh wrote! I don't usually go for any kind of historical elements in books but there was something magical about the book being set in feudal Japan that had me transfixed. I enjoyed the way that the characters spoke with such formality when speaking with each other as well as learning about the history and traditions of the people. I really felt immersed in the culture. 
I absolutely loved Mariko! The author was able to portray her as a strong, independent woman but also showed her vulnerabilities/flaws. She was at times too confident in her skill set and let her emotions get the better of her. She was stubborn and able to see things clearly at times because she was so bullheaded but was humbled over the course of the book. I love the growth that the author was able to show for her in the book. Although she is the main character of this book the author also features other strong women leaving me with the impression that they are the ones to watch out for in the war being waged in the book. That is not to say that there are not strong men in the book as well. I loved all of the men that were a part of the Black Clan especially Okami and Ranmaru. They had a quiet type of strength that they didn't lord over others. They fought when necessary and at times relished in the battles that they fought. I fell hard for Okami. He was such a complicated person and I still don't feel like I have figured him out. 
I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Renee Ahdieh began with basic elements which grew into a twisted plot for power by different parties that were motivated by justice, honor, power, and/or control. A few of the characters were clearly pawns unbeknownst to them to be used for the bigger players' means. I did not see the some of the reveals/twists in the book coming but I hope that some of them are explained further in the sequel. I also hope that the author goes into more detail about the beasts in the forest as well as the magic that certain characters are able to wield. I don't remember the magical elements being explained but I could have missed something.



1 comment: