Thursday, August 17, 2017

The Safest Lies by Megan Miranda

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Kelsey has lived most of her life in a shadow of suspicion, raised to see danger everywhere. Her mother hasn’t set foot outside their front door in seventeen years, since she escaped from her kidnappers with nothing but her attacker’s baby growing inside her—Kelsey.

Kelsey knows she’s supposed to keep a low profile and stay off the grid for their protection, but that plan is shattered when her dramatic car accident and rescue by volunteer firefighter and classmate Ryan Baker sparks media coverage.

A few days later, she arrives home to find her mother missing. Now, to have a chance at a future, Kelsey will have to face her darkest fears. Because someone is coming for her. And the truth about the past may end up being the most dangerous thing of all. 

I think that my biggest problem with this book was that it felt anticlimatic at many points throughout the story. It was not a bad book by any means but at one point the main character appears to be trapped and then magically escapes. I was hoping for more during that portion of the book. I wanted the author to spend more time on that portion of the story instead of it only being a few pages. I thought that she missed an opportunity to deliver an even more tense scene and to share more information about the villains. It is right before this moment when we figure out who one of the bad guys is and then we don't learn anything more about it until the book has almost concluded. 
I'm not sure that I liked the reveal at the end relating to the mother. I would have went in a different direction with it but it wasn't terrible. I would have liked to have it make sense in relation to how the mother acts during the majority of the book. I really liked Kelsey! It was made clear that living the way that she did with her mother changed her but she still had an incredible amount of strength even though she didn't see it. I also liked how determined she was to figure everything out and her loyalty to her mother.
 

1 comment:

  1. It's too bad this one didn't hold up. It sounded good.

    ReplyDelete