Tuesday, August 8, 2017

I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells

                                             🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
John Wayne Cleaver is dangerous, and he knows it.
He's spent his life doing his best not to live up to his potential.
He's obsessed with serial killers, but really doesn't want to become one. So for his own sake, and the safety of those around him, he lives by rigid rules he's written for himself, practicing normal life as if it were a private religion that could save him from damnation.
Dead bodies are normal to John. He likes them, actually. They don't demand or expect the empathy he's unable to offer. Perhaps that's what gives him the objectivity to recognize that there's something different about the body the police have just found behind the Wash-n-Dry Laundromat---and to appreciate what that difference means.
Now, for the first time, John has to confront a danger outside himself, a threat he can't control, a menace to everything and everyone he would love, if only he could.

I was in love with this book for about the first 100 pages or so but then things took a turn. It felt as if the author switched genres on me which threw me for a loop. Let's just say that it remains a thriller but there is an element of the book that is unrealistic and more on the paranormal side of things. I had to make myself get used to that element and then I was still able to enjoy the book. This was made easier because of the writing style. It remained amazing making me want to know what John would do next. I really enjoyed being inside of his head. It was such an interesting place to be. John reminded me of Jazz from I Hunt Killers even though this book was written first. I feel like John was even darker than Jazz though which made me like him more. I loved the tone of the book. I enjoy dark, gritty thrillers where even the narrator has a darker side. For me, it makes the story edgier and more intense to have an anti-hero narrate the book than an actual hero. I will definitely be reading the next book because I just cannot get enough of John Cleaver!
 

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of Dan's books, which is pretty embarrassing. I need to get on that. I want to start with Partials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Kami you must read his books. Any one of them!

      Delete
  2. I'm in love with Dan Wells' books. I remember when I read this one that the paranormal aspect threw me and felt a bit like a cop out but I really ended up loving the series.

    ReplyDelete