Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Jackaby by William Ritter

                                                      🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain the foul deeds are the work of the kind of creature whose very existence the local authorities--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--seem adamant to deny.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book! Although the story was historical, it read as if it was happening in present day. The language, clothing, and setting were true to the time period but I didn't find these elements bothersome like I have with other books. 
I found the pacing to be well done with enough tension and breadcrumbs of information to keep the story going and me wanting more. The author's writing style was interesting and incredibly detailed. It felt as if I was watching a movie play out in front of me. 
I thought that the killer was easy to predict when a certain clue was given in the story but I still found the story itself to be enjoyable. I loved how the author introduced Jackaby as well as the character himself. He was quite a bit like Sherlock Holmes but more lovable and quirky and less of a sociopath. I think that one of my favorite elements of the book was the paranormal. It made the book different from other variations of Sherlock Holmes type of stories. I think that it also added excitement and a quirkiness that I loved!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this one. I gave it on my kindle so I'll get to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep going back on forth on this one. I've good and bad reviews. I should at least try it.

    ReplyDelete