Monday, August 7, 2017

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

                                                🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
How far would you go for revenge if someone killed your father?
   If someone destroyed your city?
   If everything you ever loved was taken from you?
   David Charleston will go to any lengths to stop Steelheart. But to exact revenge in Steelheart’s world, David will need the Reckoners—a shadowy group of rebels bent on maintaining justice.
   And it turns out that the Reckoners might just need David too.
   Look for book two in the Reckoners series, Firefight, available now. 

First of all, I thought that this book sounded amazing! I have read books wherein a government agency experimented to make super-powered humans and/ or super hero are fighting super villains. However, I haven't read anything where the people with super powers are the ones killing and essentially enslaving humanity. The premise sounded fascinating and seemed as if it would be an action packed story. 

The author hooked me from the first page with sentences like "I've seen Steelheart bleed.". Sadly, this did not continue throughout the book. I began to get bored at about the halfway point of the book. The whole book was essentially the main character along with the Reckoners planning the demise of Steelheart. I wanted to see more action and suspence! I felt like this book was one big tease. It hinted at action but then the big confrontation wasn't until the last 40 pages or so and this book was 394 pages. 

I hated the romance in this book if you can even call it that. Why did the author have to put it in the book? Why? The main character sounded like such a girl at times!? I read my husband one of the lines from the book and he said that a guy that age would never say something like that! The juvenile dialogue aside...if David wasn't thinking or talking about destroying Steelheart he was obsessed with the girl. I don't see why it was needed for David to love the one girl in the book that was his age.

This story had good bones to it and I loved the reveals at the end of the book. A few of them were hinted at but weren't totally given away which I loved. I think that leading into the second book the author is working with some good material both from the world building in this and the ideas towards the end of the book. I think that I might attempt to read the next book but I'm afraid that it will be just like this one where nothing happens until the end.

2 comments:

  1. Brandon Sanderson is an interesting topic in our group. Some love him, and others hate him. I tried Mistborn, and I couldn't get into it, but I want to try this one. . . maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm somewhere in between because I don't love him or hate him

    ReplyDelete