Sunday, May 28, 2017

Extraordinary You by Lacey Dailey

                                              🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
 Synopsis:
 Remarkable, exceptional, amazing, astonishing, astounding, sensational, stunning, incredible, unbelievable, and phenomenal.

All of those words can be used to describe extraordinary and all of those are words that Brenna Baker would never use to describe herself.

Brenna Baker starts off every school year with the same challenge from her dad: Be extraordinary. She doesn’t know what it means to be extraordinary and if we’re being honest, she doesn’t really care either. She is perfectly fine in her bubble of solitude and spending her days holed up in a library with a sleeping, old woman.

Her attitude takes a complete turn the instant Jude Davis, a military brat, walks into her life shouting at her. Jude is everything that Brenna is not. He is outgoing, brave, and loves a good adventure. The moment Brenna laid her eyes on him, she knew that he was different, but even so, that didn’t stop the heat that spread through her body and the butterflies that erupted in her stomach.

At the start of her senior year, Brenna is presented with another challenge. Only this time, it’s not from her dad. It’s from Jude. He presents her with a bucket list and the challenge to complete everything on it before graduation. The only rule? They have to complete everything together.

Oh, and #21 on the list? Be Extraordinary.

I liked the relationship ship between Jude and Brenna and the lack of drama to the story. It is refreshing to read a book that doesn't need drama to move the story forward. I don't think that there are many books like this anymore. The majority have characters with tortured pasts or characters that have issues.

I loved the explanation of Jude's nickname for Brenna. I already enjoyed the use of the nickname because it was unique but I was surprised to find out how deep and meaningful it was. By far my favorite nickname in a romance story!!!

The only issue I found with the story is that it dragged on at a certain point. I found it hard to pay attention and keep reading even though I enjoyed the story.  I feel that it could have been shortened and still been good. I didn't need to read more about their love for each other or the dates that they went on. It had already been established that they were completing the bucket list and that they cared deeply for each other.

I wasn't that surprised by the reveal about Brenna's father but was shocked by the twist that had to do with it. I don't feel that any hints were dropped regarding this so it didn't make a lot of sense to have the story go in that direction. I was frustrated because everything that led up to that point was believable. 

I also found it frustrating that there was no resolution to Jude's issue by the end of the story although I was more understanding about that. It could have been the author's choice to leave things that way because not everything in life gets wrapped up with answers being given.

No comments:

Post a Comment