Thursday, February 7, 2019

Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga #1) by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Fiona Staples (Artist)

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. 

From bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan, Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults. 

Wow! I have heard a lot of reviewers talking about this graphic novel and how much they loved it. When I read the synopsis I'll admit that I was intrigued but I have read so many books that have to do with star crossed love so I wasn't sure if I wanted to add another one to the list. I saw that it wasn't very long and that combined with all of the great reviews swayed me into reading it. 
I could not have been more excited while reading this! It starts off with a literal bang with a baby being born and soldiers coming to arrest/maim the two main characters. It was action packed from start to finish and I loved how Brian Vaughan outlined the beginning of the story. The world building was done beautifully and the characters were developed really well for a first installment. I also thought that it was brilliant to have Hazel telling the story along side of her parents in a way. It made for an interesting take on the story and a bit of foreshadowing in a different way. I loved the artwork! It was so colorful and detailed. It had an interesting look to it and I was intrigued by the different races shown throughout the novel. 
WARNING: I feel the need to talk about the violence and sexuality of this book because I know that it will make a lot of people uncomfortable. This graphic novel does not shy away from either of these areas and it shows in the language and artwork. There are quite a few times when certain body parts are shown in all their glory due to one of the characters going to a type of brothel and other sex scenes. I already talked about the action before in this review which should lead readers to assume that there is bloodshed but there are also times when characters that we meet are disemboweled.  If none of that bothers you then this graphic novel is a good choice for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment