Friday, February 1, 2019

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1) by Jeaniene Frost

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Flirting with the Grave...
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father - the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.
In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner - are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.
This book has been recommended to me over and over again but I didn't get around to reading it until now. I've heard it compared to both Buffy and Blade and I know enough about each of these movies/TV show to know that is accurate. Cat kicks some serious butt in this book on her own but after she meets up with some of the other characters the action becomes even more intense. I'm talking about bloody carnage! It was one of my favorite things about the book! I also really loved the characters, especially Bones because how could anyone not?! I have to say that I hated Cat's mother though. She didn't seem like she really cared about people including her own daughter but rather tried to guilt them into what she felt was right. She has some issues...I think that she is there to represent the prejudice between vampires and humans. There are other characters that come along that hate all vampires based on limited to no experience with them. Readers get to see both sides of the issue within the book and how Cat is affected by it all. 
There were certain points in the story that I have seen before in other vamp books making things a touch predictable. That didn't stop me from loving the crap out of this book though! I can't wait to read the next installment in the Night Huntress series. I have a feeling it will be just as good as Halfway to the Grave if not better!




No comments:

Post a Comment