Sunday, February 24, 2019

Reading Slump



So...I've been in and out of a reading slump for a while now. I know that I have still been reading a lot so it may not seem like I have been in a slump at all. I feel like many readers go through this so I thought that it might be a good idea to go over some tips that I have either heard from other readers or that I have used to get over a reading slump.


  • Get a feel for what genre you are in the mood for
The majority of the time I read fantasy books but there are times when I just don't feel like getting to know the ins and outs of a new world. Fantasy can be overwhelming at times...especially high fantasy. There are times when I just want to read a good thriller or if we are discussing a week or two ago I was reading a lot of memoirs. I would suggest browsing your local library, the book store, or any books on your shelves you haven't read and see what jumps out at you. 
  • Don't force it / Don't be afraid to DNF
I know that there are many people who think that not finishing a book is like a heinous crime because it is essentially quitting. I will admit that I used to feel like this but I have since changed my mind. What is the point in continually to read something that you already know that you aren't enjoying? Then you are just wasting your time trudging on when you could be reading something that you enjoy. I try to give a book at least 100-150 pages before I stop reading because you can usually get into the story a good bit to know what is going on and get a feel for the characters personalities. Sometimes I will try to go back to that book at a different time to know for sure if I disliked it or if I just wasn't in the mood for a book like that. I actually did this with Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and I can say for certain that I DO NOT like that book. 
  • Sticky Notes / Set Goals 
Another great tip for getting out of a reading slump would be to set goals for yourself. I heard from a booktuber about how they use sticky notes to mark the page that they wanted to reach and then will write down a few thoughts about the book up to that point. The thoughts can be guesses about what will happen next or things that you are really enjoying thus far in the book or in the past few chapters. You can also set a goal to set aside a certain amount of time each day to read. 
  • Keep a book with you at all times
I find that always having a book with you can help you to read when you are out and about or at home and bored. I always try to have  a book in my bag at work if I have a client not show up or some books on my night stand by my bed. If you surround yourself with books than you will usually turn to them when you are bored or need something to do.
  • Turn off the electronics
I don't know about you but I find that my phone and the TV can be a huge distraction for me. I will usually reach for my phone to play a game or check my email. It is so easy to binge watch a show when you feel drained from running errands/working but it can be far more satisfying to read. You can immerse yourself in another world that you can imagine yourself rather than relying on a screen and what a director wanted something to look like. (Don't get me wrong...I love movies and TV shows. If you haven't seen The Umbrella Academy on Netflix, I highly recommend it!)
  • Buddy Read 
Sometimes it really helps to have a friend read a book with you. They can hold you accountable to reach chapter 4 by the end of the week, etc so that you can discuss what you thought of those chapters. You could also join a book club and then you have a group of people to share opinions and thoughts with. 
  • It's okay to read more than one book at a time
I understand that not everyone can read one book at a time or even multiple books at a time. This suggestion plays off of read what you are in the mood for because I find that I might read half of one book and I'm really into it but then the next day instead of finishing it I find that I am wanting to read something different. This happened to me the other week. I started reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik and got a little over halfway through it and when I went to pick it up the next day I found that I wasn't in the mood for fantasy. I ended up reading a nonfiction book as well as a thriller before picking it up again. It doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the book, I just needed to read other genres before coming back to it. 
  • Audio books
I'm going to start this tip by saying that I am not in love with audio books. The only time that I can enjoy them is when I am listening to the actual author narrating their own memoirs. However, you can accomplish other activities while you listen, you can change the speed of the audio, and you don't have to concentrate as hard. You can listen while traveling in the car or before bed during which you can set a time for it to turn off if you start to doze off. 
  • Pick out shorter books / Re-read
Short books are an excellent idea when you are in a slump because they don't take as much time. They give you a sense of accomplishment when you are able to finish them. There is also another side to this tip in that short books can still be slow going if they are classics or just plain boring. For example, I started reading The Lord of the Flies and I can honestly say that I am not enjoying it after getting 70 pages in. It is a really short book but still difficult for me to get through. In cases like this, I would suggest re-reading books that you have really enjoyed. I know that a lot of reviewers suggest Harry Potter for this but I usually read A Court of Thorns and Roses or a romance. Re-reading a book is like getting a hug from a friend or as I like to refer to it...comfort food reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment