Thursday, June 22, 2017

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

                                             🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But, it's not a skill that she's ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they've begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie. What Cassie doesn't realize is that there's more at risk than a few unsolved homicides—especially when she's sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own. Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms close. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive. Think The Mentalist meets Pretty Little Liars—Jennifer Lynn-Barnes' The Naturals is a gripping psychological thriller with killer appeal, a to-die-for romance, and the bones of a gritty and compelling new series.

I love thrillers and I have been on the lookout for one to read. I found The Naturals on a list on Goodreads, saw that it had a fairly high rating, and thought that the synopsis sounded interesting enough to check it out.
This book reminded me of some of the thrillers that I had read before but it changed things enough to keep things interesting. The author gives us the serial killer's point of view which I love! I love to feel like I've gotten inside of a killer's head and understand what their thought process is when they target their victims. Jennifer Barnes did an excellent job of providing that for the reader.
The characters were interesting and different enough from each other in personality and abilities to keep things intriguing throughout the book. I was intrigued by their abilities and felt that they had a realism to them. There are people out there that truly can read other people so well that it seems like they have a gift. I'm not sure why the author shoved the romance aspect into the story because it didn't need it. I wasn't completely bothered by it but it did feel a bit out of place. 
I didn't expect the serial killer to be who it was until later on in the book. The author was able to surprise me at least somewhat which I can appreciate. Usually, I can guess pretty quickly "who done it" in most books and movies. I enjoy it when an author is able to throw me off the scent.
I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and I hope that it lives up to this one. If you want to compare this book to others, I would say that it is like The Body Finder and I Hunt Killers both of which are also great books! 

No comments:

Post a Comment