Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles

                                                 🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
For the perfect love, what would you be willing to lose?

It’s been a shattering year for seventeen-year-old Zoe, who’s still reeling from her father's shockingly sudden death in a caving accident and her neighbors’ mysterious disappearance from their own home. Then on a terrifying sub-zero, blizzardy night in Montana, she and her brother are brutally attacked in a cabin in the woods—only to be rescued by a mysterious bounty hunter they call X.

X is no ordinary bounty hunter. He is from a hell called the Lowlands, sent to claim the soul of Zoe’s evil attacker and others like him. X is forbidden from revealing himself to anyone other than his prey, but he casts aside the Lowlands’ rules for Zoe. As they learn more about their colliding worlds, they begin to question the past, their fate, and their future.

 
I thought that the book had an interesting plot but it wasn't executed as well as I would have liked. The book focused more on Zoe and her whining/angst than the most interesting part of the story which was X , his purpose, and where the Lowlands. I wanted to read more about that because it was what made me want to read the story in the first place. 

The pacing was odd throughout the book as well or maybe it was the characters actions that made the pacing seem off somehow. The characters took actions that didn't make any sense. For example, when someone has violent tendencies you expect them to perform violent actions or when your life has been threatened you don't just forget about that right away. 

I also hated the insta-love! Why would an author have characters express their love for each other when they have known each other for a couple hours. I can understand if two characters are attracted to each other but they shouldn't be saying that they are in love with each other.

I called what was going to happen towards the end of the book from the very beginning. The book was extremely predictable. It was not hard to guess what would happen which made the story boring and hard to pay attention to.

I was able to read about 60-70 percent through the book then I skimmed the rest. I don't usually do this but like I said before I was bored. I was also tired of hearing the two main characters pine for each other even though they had much bigger things to worry about. This book may have been more successful if it was solely a love story rather than adding in the paranormal elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment