Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Watch Me Follow by Harloe Rae


🌟🌟🌓 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
Creep. Freak. Crazy Eyes.
I've heard it all.
Over the years, they've slammed me with every demeaning name in the book. 
Their taunts warped me like a steady stream of poison.
Anger replaced anxiety as I started believing the cruelty spat my way. 
Until she showed up and changed everything.
Lennon Bennett is pure innocence—warm sunshine breaking apart my stormy existence. 
She's everything good and maybe I can be too. 
For her. With her. Because of her.
Lennon doesn’t know I’m beckoned closer with each breath. 
She isn't aware that I'm completely consumed with her. 
It’s become my sole purpose to protect her, by any means necessary. 
But if she discovers the depth of my obsession, it will be the end of me.
So, I remain in the shadows.
Waiting. Watching. Wanting. 
She'll be my first. My last. My only.

Despite what my rating shows, I was excited to read this book because I thought that it would be really good. The synopsis quickly captured my attention because I tend to like books in this genre. The book began fairly well with Ryker telling how he came to meet Lennon when she transferred to his high school. He was an interesting character and I thought that his point of view would be able to easily capture my attention and interest throughout the book. 
I was so disappointed that not only was this not the case but that there were other issues that I ended up having with this book. I don't mind having characters that are outside of the "norm" because I actually gravitate more towards characters like that but I ended up finding Lennon to be bland, naive, and didn't even believe that she had issues in the first place. She was not believable as a socially inept person. She seemed like she was able to talk to people very easily and why are all of these interested in her? Is she really so attractive that almost every guy she meets want to be with her?! I loved Ryker at first but he also eventually became bland. I was hoping for so much more from him due to his intense nature. 
I think that my biggest problem with the book was that it was not what I was expecting. I know that this can be a good thing but in this case it was not. I thought that the story would have a darkness or more of an edge due to the dark nature of the synopsis talking about being in the shadows and how the taunts warped him. The book seemed to begin this way but then quickly turned into a generic romance where the main characters are attempting to lift each other up and make each other better. However, I feel that the characters were feeding into each other's issues rather than helping each other. I had a hard time with their relationship. I didn't feel like either of them really loved each other because one of them seemed more obsessed and the other seemed like they just wanted attention from the opposite sex. 



No comments:

Post a Comment