Monday, March 19, 2018

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas

🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

The bestselling series that has captured readers all over the world reaches new heights in this sequel to the New York Timesbest-selling Crown of Midnight. Packed with heart-pounding action, fierce new characters, and swoon-worthy romance, this third book will enthrall readers from start to finish.

So, this is the third book in the Throne of Glass series. It has taken me a little while to get back into reading the series again after the second book because I haven't really been in a fantasy mood. This book was just as good as the previous two books although Heir of Fire is significantly longer. I would say carve out more time in your schedule if you are planning on reading this. 
Aelin/Celaena becomes even more awesome in Heir of Fire. In the previous book we see her researching magic and trying to figure out what the king is up to. In Heir of Fire, we already know a large portion of the King's plan but we also find out more of the evil he plans to unleash on the world. Celaena meets up with her aunt Maeve (She's an awesome relative that will help her right? Wrong!) in order to find out more about the Wyrdkeys and how to destroy them but she must first be worthy of entering Doranelle...enter Rowan. He is her trainer for all things magic and she can only enter Doranelle if he gives the okay. He was an interesting addition to the series. He was able to relate to Celaena due to having lost those close to him as well. I didn't really like him at first but he grew on me towards the end of the book. He was a bit gruff which is similar to how Celaena seems to be when she meets new people. I am hoping that nothing romantic happens between them because I enjoy the friendship that they have. I think that she needs more friends rather than more romantic entanglements. However, I see that Aedion is a very distant relative (So distant that they aren't really related) and I would not mind Celaena getting together with him. He was so awesome and such a fierce warrior! I think that they will be able to relate to each other on so many different levels when they meet up. Not to mention, that they already have history with each other and he remains loyal to her no matter what he hears about what she has done in the years that they have been apart. 
I'm not loving Dorian or Chaol anymore. I thought that Dorian might be redeemed for me after having magic in the last one because I thought that it would make him more invested in trying to better the world but that is not the case. He was so whiny in this book! Dorian complained about his friends not telling him things and not wanting magic. I think that he will be awesome in the next book after what happened between he and his father at the end of Heir of Fire. I'm really excited to see what becomes of him after that. Chaol on the other hand is invested in what is going on but not so invested that he can pick a side. He constantly says and thinks that he can remain on the outside while the lines are drawn in the side between the King and Celaena. Chaol also doesn't seem to truly love Celaena. Dorian says something in the book about not picking and choosing which parts of her to love and I believe that is right on the money with what Chaol is doing. I really hope that Celaena does not end up with either of them because neither of them are suited for her. 
Celaena grows and heals a ton over the course of this book. It is clear that the loss of her friend still pains her but it turns into a dull ache by the end. She begins the book by wishing that her life would end and thinking of herself as an assassin rather than a queen. She appears to have no interest in that title but I think that a huge purpose of this book was to help her grow into that title. I think that in order to beat the King at his own game it is important for her to take up her title and become the queen that she was meant to be. 
This book had a slow start but picked up speed as the story progressed. It was more focused on the character development and introducing new characters that will be key players in the war that will ultimately happen between the King and Celaena. I wasn't sure of the purpose of Manon's point of view besides hinting more about what the King has planned for the war that will take place. Her point of view was interesting but I'm not sure that it was necessary. It threw me off and it was clear that by the end of Crown of Midnight that the witches were going to find out that someone killed the Yellowlegs witch. 





3 comments:

  1. I only read the first book but didn’t like Dorian or Chaol either. I’m worried about you who she’ll end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't think that she will end up with either one of them. I think that she will end up with someone else that has been introduced in the series or someone new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Celaena's character development through the series, and I think she grows so much in this one. Chaol becomes likeable again, and I think Dorian does too.

    ReplyDelete