Saturday, March 17, 2018

Harley & Rose by Carmen Jenner

🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Ever since she was a little girl, thirty-year-old Rose dreamed of the day Harley would carry her across the threshold on their honeymoon. So what if this isn’t her actual wedding day, and that she’s only here because Harley was left at the altar just a few hours earlier?

Trading San Francisco for paradise and swapping her bridesmaid’s bouquet for a Blue Hawaii, Rose hopes she can finally escape the friend zone.

Once upon a time they had been more than friends, but life got in the way. She’s spent every day since wishing Harley would get a clue.

She’s always been his best friend.

He’s always been hers.

She’s in love with him.

He’s... not in love with her.

He’s... marrying someone else.

He’s... hiding something.

He’s... well—it’s complicated.

I kept seeing this book pop up everywhere and it had a good rating so I decided to read it. I thought that the book had an interesting plot at the beginning. I was intrigued by the concept of having a man who was left at the alter go on his honeymoon with his best friend who is in love with him. I could see how there could be heartache and angst. The book began interesting enough although it felt a bit repetitive with Rose having the same inner monologue of "this is a terrible situation for me but I have to help my friend". I thought that the sole focus of the book would be each of them coming to terms with their feelings over the course of the honeymoon but I was wrong. The book continues and switches from past to present with Rose being the main point of view. The pacing of the book felt off the entire way through after the honeymoon and I attribute part of that to her running hot and cold with Harley and vice versa. I don't feel like anything in this story was ever truly resolved. It had me feeling like I had emotional blue balls by the end because it teased at things so many times but nothing happens. There are so many things that don't add up for me like why Harley was getting married in the first place. 

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds so frustrating. What was its point? Sorry it was a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete