Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter #1) by Virginia Boecker

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.

Elizabeth seemed like she was going to be an awesome warrior who kicked butt and took names and she was in parts of the book. I would have liked to have seen more of this side of her while reading this book but that was not what happened. She had a strong presence in the book but I would have liked for her to have been worried about boys less and her task more. Elizabeth focused way too much on Caleb even though he only truly cared about himself. Then she ends up meeting someone else and focused on him for the rest of the book. I actually liked the second love interest because he was intelligent, sweet, and put others before himself. However, I wasn't a fan of the insta-love that ended up taking place in the story between them. I wouldn't have minded the romance but I wanted them to get to know each other and grow to love each other rather than meeting and professing their love not long after that.
There were a few times in this book that I felt that the author was telling more than showing which bothered me quite a bit. I wanted there to be more information explaining why things were happening. There were parts of the plot that I did not comprehend because they either seemed random or weren't explained in a way that made them click with the overall story. It was because of this that I became confused towards the end of the book when the main characters are enacting a plan to save the day.
I realize that I am focusing heavily on the things that I would change about the book but that doesn't mean that I wasn't able to enjoy it. I liked the whole Salem trial/ witch hunter idea. I found it interesting especially when adding in things like curses and plagues caused by magic. 
The bones of the story were good but I would have liked for it to be executed better. I think that the next book will be interesting as well but I'm still trying to decide if I will be reading it or not. I'm intrigued by a few things that were mentioned or hinted at in The Witch Hunter. I'm convinced that there is something more to Elizabeth than what Virginia Boecker told readers in The Witch Hunter. I think that she is going to turn out to be more than just a witch hunter but I'm not sure what it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment