Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga #1) by Pierce Brown

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
"I live for the dream that my children will be born free," she says. "That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them."

"I live for you," I say sadly.

Eo kisses my cheek. "Then you must live for more."


Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.

Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies... even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.


This book was intricately woven and so fast paced that if you blinked you would miss some of the action that took place. I thought that the world building was fascinating. I hope that the author will go into more detail about the different colors that we haven't heard as much about in Red Rising in the next installment. I thought that the duties and station of each color was compelling. I especially liked the violets and the carving that they were able to do. I think that the part where that is introduced was probably one of my favorite parts of the book because it was a chance to be introduced to the type of technology that is common in their society. 
I also enjoyed the battles and I will say that readers aren't kidding when they compare this book to Hunger Games on steroids! There are a lot of battles and duels that take place throughout the book so if you enjoy that as much as I do then this book is for you. The author spends a good amount of time on world building so the action doesn't start right away but once it does there is no let up from it. There is a lot of blood that is shed as well as talk about war strategy. Throughout all of that the author keys the reader into Darrow's internal struggle when dealing with the many obstacles that he must face in order to further his goals. 
I LOVED Darrow! It was an amazing character and if I was a character in the story I like to think that I would have followed him just like some of the other characters in the story. He was flawed but that was part of what I liked about him. Despite what happened in the beginning of the book, I never saw him as a coward. He didn't realize everything that was at stake and just wanted for his family and himself to be safe and content. As the book progressed he made some decisions that I didn't necessarily agree with but I understood why he made them. He was still grieving and that brought out a rage in him that he found hard to temper it. He grew so much during this book and I loved the kind of leader that he became. He wasn't cuddly or caring but fair and just in his approach. 
I'm loving how the author set things in motion for the next installment in the series but I'll have to see how everything pans out. I have heard that Darrow changes and that it wasn't necessarily well received by people who have read the book. 





2 comments:

  1. No!!!! Dang! I was hoping you’d take my side. Oh well. I just don’t get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes! Yes! Good luck with the next book. It is even more brutal.

    ReplyDelete