Monday, February 19, 2018

If I Stay (If I Stay #1) by Gayle Forman, Kirsten Potter (Narrator)

🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.

I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.

Stay, he says.


Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.

This is a beautiful story about life, love, and family. Bring your tissues because there are parts of the book that will have you in tears as family members and friends talk to Mia in an attempt to get her to stay with them or to say that it is okay for her to move on. 

The author gives the reader snippets of memories from Mia's life throughout the story in between present day explanations of how Mia's health is touch and go after a car accident that left her body battered and barely hanging on to life. Though Mia is fighting for her life from a hospital bed where she is unconscious, she still manages to be the narrator of the book through her spirit/ghost. It made for an interesting point of view because she is able to see what everyone is saying and everything that happens with her body. It was interesting how Mia goes back and forth between choosing to move on or stay. I can understand why she would want to be with her parents but also why she might feel that it is a cop out to move on when living would be the harder choice. 

My favorite portions of this book were present day when Mia is fighting for her life in the hospital. It was interesting how the author chose to talk about how the time passes by giving the hour of day periodically over the course of the book. Mia talks about walking around the hospital and listening to her family and friends talk. The emotions eb and flow with there being gut-wrenching moments when her boyfriend is in the room with her and then moments when it feels like Mia is disconnected because she is watching the doctors perform another surgery on her body while she stays in the same place. 

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you liked this one. I wasn’t a fan. I thought the harder choice would have been to go.

    ReplyDelete