Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons #2) by Marie Lu

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Before he was Batman, he was Bruce Wayne. A reckless boy willing to break the rules for a girl who may be his worst enemy.

The Nightwalkers are terrorizing Gotham City, and Bruce Wayne is next on their list.
One by one, the city's elites are being executed as their mansions' security systems turn against them, trapping them like prey. Meanwhile, Bruce is turning eighteen and about to inherit his family's fortune, not to mention the keys to Wayne Enterprises and all the tech gadgetry his heart could ever desire. But after a run-in with the police, he's forced to do community service at Arkham Asylum, the infamous prison that holds the city's most brutal criminals.

Madeleine Wallace is a brilliant killer . . . and Bruce's only hope.
In Arkham, Bruce meets Madeleine, a brilliant girl with ties to the Nightwalkers. What is she hiding? And why will she speak only to Bruce? Madeleine is the mystery Bruce must unravel. But is he getting her to divulge her secrets, or is he feeding her the information she needs to bring Gotham City to its knees? Bruce will walk the dark line between trust and betrayal as the Nightwalkers circle closer.
 

I thought that Marie Lu did a respectable job with this book. There have been so many variations of Batman in comics, movies, TV, and books that I believe that it is difficult to do something with him that hasn't been done before. I feel like it is almost impossible to revamp or create a new story which is why I only gave this book 3 stars. It didn't feel like this book was breaking any new ground on the subject matter. I would recommend this book to readers who haven't read many Batman comics and don't know as much about him. 
I like Marie's books because she has a writing style that I appreciate and I feel that she does a wonderful job creating the characters and the worlds in her books. Batman: Nightwalker seemed like it was Marie Lu light. I wanted more than what I received from this book. I found this teenage version of Bruce Wayne to be bland. He didn't offer anything as a character that drew me into the story. I didn't come to care about him like I wanted to. I was far more invested in the villain than I was in him. She was an interesting addition to the story due to her complexities and the lies that she weaved seamlessly in with half truths. I also enjoyed some of the fast paced scenes in the book wherein Bruce shows a few of his skills that he has already acquired in the aftermath of his parents death. 
Sadly, these attributes were not enough for me to rate this book any higher. This book didn't draw me in. It was easy to put it down which I did. I completed a few other books in between reading this one. I was so disappointed because this had all of the makings of a great book but it just fell a bit flat for me.  




2 comments:

  1. Well that’s disappointing. It’s got to be hard to tackle Bruce Wayne/Batman. He’s been done, like you said, way too many times. Are you going to try the others in the series since they’re by different authors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to read the Wonder Woman and Catwoman books because they are both by authors that I like. I'll probably skip the Superman book because I've never really liked Superman.

    ReplyDelete