Tuesday, October 3, 2017

13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough

🌟🌟🌟🌟out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Natasha's sure that her friends love her. But does that mean they didn't try to kill her?
Natasha doesn't remember how she ended up in the icy water that night, but she does know this—it wasn't an accident, and she wasn't suicidal. Her two closest friends are acting strangely, and Natasha turns to Becca, the best friend she dumped years before when she got popular, to help her figure out what happened.
They say you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but when you're a teenage girl, it's hard to tell them apart.

***ARC provided by publishers via Netgalley in exchange of honest review***

Sarah Pinborough is a master of description! I was hooked from the first sentence of this book and felt like I was fighting for my life just as Natasha was. The descriptions of the water and her fear/panic made me feel like I was in her position even though I was sitting on my couch under a blanket. I actually had to stop reading because I had to get my breathing under control. I could have done without the school drama that the book switched over to as soon as the drowning portion was over. It was all very "she said this" and "she'll never have any friends or a boyfriend". Although it was a bit annoying, I can understand why the author focused so heavily on this during the course of the book because it helped the reader to understand the intricacies of the relationships. It would be difficult to comprehend where Becca is coming from with regards to Natasha unless the reader is able to know why their friendship ended and what happened afterwards. My impatience proved to be my downfall while I was reading this book. I thought that I had everything figured out by the time that I got to page 50 which made me want the author to hurry the writing along so that I could know for sure. I should have known better than to think that the author would have given everything away that quickly and easily. There are many twists and turns during the course of this book that will leave your head spinning. I shouldn't have doubted the author because she crafted quite the tangled web. I loved how the book ended. It wasn't as simple as I thought it would be. It was a darker plot than I thought and I enjoyed the twists and turns involved. When everything was explained, it all made so much sense and made me love the book so much more!

2 comments:

  1. What's with the weird title/cover??? I'm intrigued now. Sounds like a fun, suspenseful read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the main characters drowned and was dead for 13 minutes which is where the title comes from but she can't remember the day and night leading up to that happening. I think that it is supposed to be here on the cover and her handwriting around the title. This is all information that takes place within the first few pages of the book so it is not spoilers.

    ReplyDelete