Monday, August 20, 2018

The Hardest Fall by Ella Maise

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

The first time you meet someone, you make eye contact. You smile, say hello. Should be simple, if you’re anyone but me. The first time I met Dylan Reed, I found myself making eye contact with a different part of his body. You see, I’m very good at being shy, not to mention extremely well-versed in rambling nonsense and, unfortunately, rather highly skilled at making a fool of myself in front of a guy I’m attracted to.

At the time, I knew nothing about him and thought none of what I said would matter since I’d never speak to him again. Turns out, I was very wrong. He was the star wide receiver of the football team, one of the few players expected to make it into the NFL, and I ended up seeing him all over campus.
I might have also propositioned him, run away from him, attacked him with a cooking utensil…and…uh, maybe I shouldn’t tell you all of it. It’s pretty normal stuff, things you’d expect…from me. Eventually, the time came when I couldn’t hide anymore—not that he’d have let me even if I tried.
Before now, he never knew I was secretly watching him. Now that we see each other every day, he knows when I have a hard time looking away. It doesn’t help that I’m not the most subtle person in the world either.

He smiles at me and tells me he finds me fascinating because of my quirks. I can’t even tell him that I think my heart beats differently whenever he’s around.

He thinks we’re going to be best friends. I think I have a big thing for him, and the more I get to know him, the more I don’t care that I’m not allowed to be his friend, let alone fall for him.

The thing is, that’s exactly what I’m doing—what we’re doing, I think.

Falling.

Hard.
 

I thought that this was a cute, funny romance with some angst thrown in. I honestly don't think that the angst should have even been in the book. It would have been great without it. I think that the main draw for this book is Zoe. She is an awesome character! Shout out to all the shy, awkward girls out there! She is a character I can get behind because I'm not a sultry or sassy woman. I'm actually a lot like Zoe where I have no filter and tend to say the wrong things and am not the most outgoing. I found her really relatable and enjoyed her interactions with Dylan. He was able to appreciate the qualities that many others found odd. He was a very sweet character and I liked that he wasn't a typical alpha male strutting around sleeping with every woman he laid eyes on. Their relationship was beautiful but I wish that there wouldn't have been as many high schoolesque miscommunications between them in the book. I'm not a fan of dumb drama. Zoe's secret was interesting and I was thrown off at first as to what it was. I think that it should have either taken more of a main focus in the book or have been left out entirely. 






No comments:

Post a Comment