Friday, August 3, 2018

Lifel1k3 (Lifelike #1) by Jay Kristoff

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

On a floating junkyard beneath a radiation sky, a deadly secret lies buried in the scrap.


Eve isn’t looking for secrets—she’s too busy looking over her shoulder. The robot gladiator she’s just spent six months building has been reduced to a smoking wreck, and the only thing keeping her Grandpa from the grave was the fistful of credits she just lost to the bookies. To top it off, she’s discovered she can destroy electronics with the power of her mind, and the puritanical Brotherhood are building a coffin her size. If she’s ever had a worse day, Eve can’t remember it.

But when Eve discovers the ruins of an android boy named Ezekiel in the scrap pile she calls home, her entire world comes crashing down. With her best friend Lemon Fresh and her robotic conscience, Cricket, in tow, she and Ezekiel will trek across deserts of irradiated glass, infiltrate towering megacities and scour the graveyard of humanity’s greatest folly to save the ones Eve loves, and learn the dark secrets of her past.

Even if those secrets were better off staying buried. 


This book really packs a punch! I knew that it would! I have loved all of Jay Kristoff's other books that I have read and when he described it as being "Romeo and Juliet meets Bladerunner, while Fury Road plays a guitar solo in the background" I knew that I had to read it. I think that Lifelike may be my favorite book of his thus far. It was action-packed but didn't skimp on the emotional punch either!

I know that the description may make it sound like there is too much going on but I promise that is not the case.  Some may be turned off by the Romeo and Juliet reference but it doesn't play into that side of things as much as one might think. I know because I am tired of those kinds of stories because I feel that they have been played out. Eve and Ezekiel are each very strong characters in their own right. They are trying to figure out where they fit in the world and/or how the world could be changed to fit them. Everything begins to go haywire once they meet and the fast pace doesn't let up throughout the book. I enjoyed all of the characters. I found that they each had a purpose in the plot of the book and each had some kind of background to them that was revealed. I appreciated this because it could get messy to flesh out so many characters but Jay Kristoff found a way to organically do it so that the book was fluid and packed with description. I love the world that the author created. It was very different and I'll admit that the slang tripped me up a bit. I did find the language a little annoying at times but you get used to it and everything else in the book more than makes up or it!

There were some things that happened that I had guessed would take place but others that I found a little confusing. I think that everything will be explained in book 2. I have a feeling that things are about to get bonkers!


2 comments:

  1. I don’t think I’ve read any of Kristoff’s book. How sad is that? This one sounds like a crazy ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super sad! All of his books are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete