Monday, August 20, 2018

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

The bestselling novel about love, loss and hope from the twice Carnegie Medal-winning Patrick Ness. 

Conor has the same dream every night, ever since his mother first fell ill, ever since she started the treatments that don't quite seem to be working. But tonight is different. Tonight, when he wakes, there's a visitor at his window. It's ancient, elemental, a force of nature. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor. It wants the truth. 

Patrick Ness takes the final idea of the late, award-winning writer Siobhan Dowd and weaves an extraordinary and heartbreaking tale of mischief, healing and above all, the courage it takes to survive.

This is my first Patrick Ness book. I have been interested in his writing  but haven't had the chance to read it until now. I'm really happy that A Monster Calls was my first look at his writing. This book was packed with so much beautiful prose and symbolism. I was floored by the plot and the author's ability to capture grief in such a raw, realistic way. I had many moments while reading this when I became emotional. I think that even if you haven't dealt with something similar to the main character that you can still relate to what it feels like to be powerless to help someone or escape a situation.
Conor feels his emotions so deeply throughout the book and doesn't seem to have an outlet for them. I loved him as a character because I feel like even though he was very young he went through things that are common for people but make them feel as if they are terrible people for having thoughts like that. Overall, a beautiful, gut wrenching read with beautiful images and words that capture every emotion to the point of tears. 





1 comment:

  1. This one was so beautiful. I’m glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete