Thursday, August 23, 2018

Bird Box by Josh Malerman


🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟


Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse of it, and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.

Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remains, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place where they might be safe. Now that the boy and girl are four, it's time to go, but the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat--blindfolded--with nothing to rely on but her wits and the children’s trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. Something is following them all the while, but is it man, animal, or monster?

Interweaving past and present, Bird Box is a snapshot of a world unraveled that will have you racing to the final page.



I had no idea this book even existed until a friend spoke about it. She said that it was similar to A Quiet Place and that if I liked things like that than I might like this book. As other people started reading and enjoying this book, I decided that I had to put it at the top of my TBR pile.
I was about half way through Bird Box when I watched A Quiet Place. I thought that it might ruin the book for me but it wasn't the case. Though they are similar I found Bird Box completely different. There was so much tension and build up in this book. It was an insane thrill ride. I was terrified of what was going to happen. The author does s fantastic job of putting the reader in the exact same mindset as the Malorie. At first,  you might feel skeptical thinking that the plot is far fetched. How could something like this take place? Is there really anything to be afraid of? As the book progresses and the the losses begin to add up you start to wonder what is happening to these people. By the end of the book it didn't take much to rattle me and any sudden noise or breeze made me nervous for Malorie and her children. 
I will say this one warning for readers...if you are squeamish you probably shouldn't read this book. There is a particular part of the book that is still stuck with me that was particularly gruesome. Bird Box will terrify you and make you wonder if monsters are real. If they are real, could there be something or someone worse? 





1 comment: