Monday, July 23, 2018

By Your Side by Kasie West

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her.

Only he doesn’t come. No one does.

Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side?

I thought that this was just going to be a fun romance read. I didn't really expect anything other than that so I was pleasantly surprised when I began reading and found out that one of the characters has a bad reputation and the other struggles with anxiety. I related to Autumn's struggles because I used to care too much about what people thought of me and put others happiness above my own. I felt for her and wanted her to stand up for herself and be honest with everyone including herself about her anxiety. I wasn't sure how I felt about Dax at first because he seemed like a real jerk. I warmed to him as Autumn did and saw that there was more to him than met the eye. I enjoyed seeing them in a contained environment but also in the real world where they were forced to face the issues of their lives again. I was surprised that neither one of them seemed to be book lovers considering that they were both stuck in a library together but I got over it. I loved that they challenged each other and the beautiful friendship that came out of them being trapped together. 

1 comment: