Sunday, July 8, 2018

Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles #1) by Jodi Meadows


πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒ“ out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Before

Mira Minkoba is the Hopebearer. Since the day she was born, she’s been told she’s special. Important. Perfect. She’s known across the Fallen Isles not just for her beauty, but for the Mira Treaty named after her, a peace agreement which united the seven islands against their enemies on the mainland.

But Mira has never felt as perfect as everyone says. She counts compulsively. She struggles with crippling anxiety. And she’s far too interested in dragons for a girl of her station.

After

Then Mira discovers an explosive secret that challenges everything she and the Treaty stand for. Betrayed by the very people she spent her life serving, Mira is sentenced to the Pit–the deadliest prison in the Fallen Isles. There, a cruel guard would do anything to discover the secret she would die to protect.

No longer beholden to those who betrayed her, Mira must learn to survive on her own and unearth the dark truths about the Fallen Isles–and herself–before her very world begins to collapse.

I had reservations about reading this book because the ratings/reviews made it seem just okay and I had had enough of reading books with dragons that didn't measure up to my expectations. I put off reading it and then one day I saw it at the library and thought why not. It is a fairly lengthy book which I didn't love because it seemed drawn out but I found the main character and story interesting. Mira appears to have pretty severe anxiety which she copes with by counting the things around her. I found this intriguing because I love a flawed character. I enjoyed seeing her progress throughout the book. 
I loved the portion of the book where she is in the pit! I thought that the rest of the book was weaker but seeing the suffering in the prison was great! I loved seeing the interactions between prisoners and finding out how far each of them were willing to go for their freedom and beliefs. It is while Mira is in the pit that readers learn the most about each of the characters and what is happening with the dragons. 
Personally, I would have liked to have seen more dragons. For a book that is about dragons I would have thought that it would have focused more on them than on information that Mira discovered.  I am excited to see what will happen in the sequel with everything that is revealed about the dragons and the main characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment