Friday, November 24, 2017

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Synopsis:
Pay close attention and you might solve this.

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.

Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.

Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.

Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.

Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.

And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who’s still on the loose?

Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.

At first, I thought that this book was going to be a lame version of breakfast club if it was a thriller. I am happy to say that I was partially wrong. The author was inspired by The Breakfast Club and wanted to experiment with what would happen if there was a thriller aspect to it. I thought that it was an interesting idea and I appreciated the author's creativity.
The best part of this book was the reveal towards the end of who the murderer was. I didn't really see it coming. There were aspects of it that I guessed but I didn't see the full picture. I was worried about how the author would choose to end the book because I thought that it would be too obvious and typical of the genre. I enjoyed how the author presents every character in a way that makes them look as if they each have motive to get rid of Simon. It makes it difficult to pin down who did it because they each look guilty. Each person has secrets that they don't want to be revealed. I wish I could explain exactly why I  loved the path that the author took with the reveal but I don't want to spoil anything. Just know that it was unexpected and refreshing. 
The characters themselves weren't presented as anything new. They were each like the characters in The Breakfast Club, stereotypical high school students from separate cliques that don't really acknowledge each other until detention. The author is able to keep readers as well as the characters guessing until the very end as to who murdered Simon. No one is who they seem and everyone is hiding something.


1 comment:

  1. Even though I’m a loser who’s never seen The Breakfast Club. I think I’m going to have to read this one. It sounds much more interesting than the movie.

    ReplyDelete