Sunday, November 19, 2017

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟


Synopsis:
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you..."

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?


I had some trouble with this book and I think it may in part be due to the hype. It feels like everyone I know is in love with Attachments for one reason or another. I love romance books especially when they have comedic elements in them but I had a hard time with this one.
My problem was that I was bored. The story seemed to be very drawn out and I got tired of reading the girls emails after a while. It began to feel like I was reading the same thing over and over again. It seemed like the majority of the book revolved around the emails and Lincoln's mother hovering over everything he did and said. I wanted there to be more interaction between the two main characters than there was.
I didn't really have any other problems with the story other than that. The writing was well done and I liked the characters. Lincoln was so sweet and nerdy. I love a man that is not afraid to let his inner nerd show by playing D and D and talking about movies like Star Wars. Beth was also a cool character because she had an interesting point of view on things. She didn't sugar coat things but was still sensitive to how Jennifer felt making her a good person and friend. She was also nerdy in her own right which I loved. 
I also loved how the author included deeper topics in the story so that it wasn't just a one dimensional love story. The characters are each dealing with issues that don't overwhelm their lives but are common things that people deal with on a daily basis. I think that I felt the worst for Beth because she didn't have much of a support system other than Jennifer and she seemed to be in denial about her issue.

2 comments:

  1. Awww! So sorry you didn't love this one. Sometimes hype can ruin a book, which sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve disliked every Rowell boom I’ve read except this one. I went into it with low expectations and I think that’s why I loved it. That and Lincoln. I’m in love with Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete