Tuesday, March 21, 2017

This is War, Baby (War & Peace Book 1) by K Webster



                                        🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟stars

Summary: 
My life had a plan. Until he invaded it and stole it all away. My captor took me and I became a pawn.

His strategy changed and he sent me away to WAR, because money is everything in this world.

In my WAR, though, I found peace.

I couldn’t help but find love where I least expected it, with a man who lived a battle every day of his life
…all inside his head.
But then my captor came back for me.
Yet, this time, battle lines had been drawn and I was protected.

So we thought.
Even though my WAR was raging,
my captor would fight to the death.

The good guys always win, right?
Not always.
All’s fair in love and WAR, right?
Not this time.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book. I thought that it might have been like the other books out there about a girl who is kidnapped or sold then falls in love with her captor. It was a lot different than the other books in that other players are involved making it a complex situation. It makes the title make a lot more sense knowing that war is in the title of the book. 

I wanted to rip Gabe's head off from the first moment we are introduced to him in the book. He reminded me of the classic information that I have read about rapists. In his head, he sees Baylee as loving him and enjoying the torture that he inflicts on her body. In reality, she is fighting with everything that she has to stay alive and keep her sanity intact.

I loved War! I know that he lived in his head and struggled with his issues but you could tell he had a beautiful soul. He cared for Baylee so completely and wanted to heal the damage that had been inflicted on her. I could appreciate his struggle and loved getting the chance to be in his head. It was so interesting to know the direction that his thoughts would take and how it seemed as if he could take any situation or touch and turn it into something "dirty" or "disgusting" because of his mental health issues.

This book felt like a race to the finish wherein anything could happen. It was obvious that we were going to see Gabe again but I just wasn't sure how. I look forward to what madness he will cook up in the next book.

The book felt a little fragmented with the beginning being so dark and then the second half or so being more brightly lit so to speak. I suppose the author was trying to show the readers the difference between the two men in Baylee's life during her captivity which would make more sense. It just felt a bit off.

This book ends with a bit of a cliffhanger so if you don't appreciate those you may not want to read this book. If you decide to read it anyway, know that it is a great book! I love the characters and the author does a fantastic job of letting you in their heads and beginning a story that I believe will get even darker and tense!

No comments:

Post a Comment