Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

                                            🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟stars

Summary:
In this gripping page-turner, an ex-agent on the run from her former employers must take one more case to clear her name and save her life.

She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning.
Now, she rarely stays in the same place or uses the same name for long. They’ve killed the only other person she trusted, but something she knows still poses a threat. They want her dead, and soon.

When her former handler offers her a way out, she realizes it’s her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But it means taking one last job for her ex-employers. To her horror, the information she acquires only makes her situation more dangerous.

Resolving to meet the threat head-on, she prepares for the toughest fight of her life but finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival. As she sees her choices being rapidly whittled down, she must apply her unique talents in ways she never dreamed of.


I was excited to see that Stephenie Meyer wrote another book! I was looking forward to reading this ever since it was announced and it did not disappoint!

It was advertised as a Jason Bourne type of story and I feel that it was just that. I was not sure how Stephenie Meyer would do with this type of story since she typically does not write this type of genre but I was pleasantly surprised! I found the book to be thrilling. It wasn't the type of story wherein action takes place every minute but it still had me on the edge of my seat with the amount of tension that it supplied.

I loved the Juliana, the main character of the story. She was surprisingly refreshing. After reading the blurbs and synopsis of the book, I assumed that she would be another run of the mill CIA operative that can kick everyone's butts. The fact that she wasn't made her more interesting. I loved the fact that she used her intelligence as a weapon rather than fighting skills. The best description of her would be like a clever spider who traps and kills anyone that dares to come close to her web. 

The only things that I didn't enjoy about the book were that it was fairly predictable and that there was intsa-love. I could usually easily guess what was going to happen during parts of the story though this did not make the book terrible by any means. I still enjoyed the story but it would have been nice if it was a bit more out of the box during certain scenes.
There was also insta-love in this book and while I can understand how it could happen that quickly in their situation, all of my reasons for it were debunked by the author during the course of the story. I would have liked to see the romance aspect develop more rather than one of the characters saying that it was love at first sight. There was also another event that took place between the characters that I couldn't understand how someone could get past and love the other person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment