Monday, January 30, 2017

Hawthorne & Heathcliff (Kindle Edition) by R.K. Ryals

                                                     🌟🌟🌟🌟out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars
Summary:
Two names that didn't belong to us. Two shoes that did.

Intense and introspective, seventeen-year-old Hawthorne Macy knows all about being abandoned. She's felt the stark pain of being left behind by the people who are supposed to love her the most; her parents. Raised by her caring uncle on an old plantation, Hawthorne lives her life on the fringes of her small Southern town.

Until she meets his shoe.

Senior year, last period English class, and a pair of silent tennis shoes resting next to hers in the back of the room throws Hawthorne into a world she'd learned to stay outside of.

His name is Max Vincent, but in her mind, he’s Heathcliff. The handsome eighteen-year-old boy behind the shoes will pull Hawthorne into a passionate and unforgettable adventure of self-discovery during a time when love seems impossible.

Shoes can tell a lot about a person. The journey they take you on can tell a lot about how they'll hold up.


I was conflicted about the number of stars that I should give this book. I thought that the first 70% of the book was brilliant! I can't say enough good things about the majority of the book! It was a poetic and deep story that touched me. Bring a box of tissues when you sit down to read it because it will tear your heart out. I was crying throughout the majority of the book.
I know that it might sound exaggerated but this book changed me! 

I loved everything about Hawthorne. She was quirky in the most beautiful of ways! The author made her voice so distinct. She was such a quiet character that when she did have dialogue with another character you felt compelled to listen. I loved that she communicated with Max through their shoes and how she was selective about who she gave her heart too. 

I loved the relationship that she had with her uncle and the life lessons that he taught her throughout the book. Some of my favorite quotes in this book came from Uncle Gregor because he opened my mind to think about concepts such as love in such different ways. I know that everyone love the "okay" from The fault in Our Stars but this book beats that with "for my sake" which is spoken between Hawthorne and her uncle. I found it lovely that they expressed their love for each other in this manner. 

I also enjoyed Max although not as much as Hawthorne obviously. He was so patient with Hawthorne and determined to show her that she was loved. He wanted to earn her friendship rather than forcing it which was admirable.

I think that this love story was so successful because it showcased different types of love and didn't make it seem like Hawthorne or Max would die without each other. There were other focuses in their lives.

Personally, I would have rather had the book end at the 70% mark. I was so disappointed by the rest of the story which is why my review is not five stars. Hawthorne and Max see each other again five years after high school and they have both changed in different ways. I felt like everything that I loved about the story disappeared into thin air at this point. Max had changed so much that there was nothing left of the character that he was in the beginning. I also thought the ending  was rushed, with no real explanations or development. 

Since I was in love with the majority of this book, I decided to give it four stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment