Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The Mother Road by Meghan Quinn





                                                  🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟stars


Never in a million years would I have pictured myself as an axe-wielding, dragon lady, chopping up multi-colored flannel shirts into my very own plaid mulch. But here I am, chopping away my frustrations.

It all started when my brother, Paul, convinced me to go on one last family road trip across the Mother Road with him and my dad.. Just like old times, right? Wrong. What Paul fails to mention is his best man, Porter, will be joining us, who just so happens to be my childhood crush and the man who broke my heart four years ago.

What is supposed to be a fun, family bonding experience across Route 66 turns into a war of pranks, awkward moments and bathrooms full of dirty flannel shirts and day old beard clippings. Paul’s know-it-all attitude and Porter’s devilish charm brings me to the brink of my sanity on my seven day trek across the United States with three bearded men in a small 1980’s RV.
 

I cannot praise this book enough! I started off thinking that this book sounded really good but being afraid that it would be like the other romantic comedy books that I have read in the past. To be honest, I thought that I hated the genre because none of the books that I read in that genre were ever good in my opinion. 

Meghan Quinn's book The Mother Road proved me wrong!!! I loved this book from start to finish. She really paints a picture with her words. I felt like I was on the road trip with the characters taking part in the hijenks and hilarity that ensued. I have to say that no other book has ever made me laugh out loud the way that this book did! I literally had tears of joy streaming down my face while reading it. I made my husband stop what he was doing just so I could read parts of the book to him. I barely able to read without laughing but he got the gist and laughed with me too. 

I have never felt so uplifted when reading a book. I think that it was not only the comedy but also the relationships between the main characters in the book. Each person was quite a character, pun intended! Marley was such a sweetheart but also feisty when she was pushed too far. Her brother Paul made me laugh so many times with his girly-manness as well as the facts that he told everyone that would not necessarily be socially acceptable to talk about with anyone other than family. Their dad Bernie was caring and enjoyable in his own way of razzing his son and shouting out presidents' names when he got angry. And what can I say about Porter?! He held my heart in the palm of his hand. He was such a gentle soul and loved those around him fiercely. I feel like I knew each of the characters and loved each of their individual personalities. I don't think that I have read a book where the secondary characters jump off the page quite as much as The Mother Road. I wanted to hear from Bernie and Paul as much if not more than Marley and Porter. 

I also feel that it is important to mention that even though this book was filled with humor, the plot was not sacrificed. I loved that at the heart of the story it was about the importance of and love within a family, dealing with loss, believing in yourself, and loving without restraint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment