Saturday, April 1, 2017

Anti-Stepbrother by Tijan

                                                       ⭐⭐ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐stars

He told me to 'settle, girl.' 
He asked if 'something was wrong with me?' 
He said I was an ‘easy target.’ 
That was within minutes when I first met Caden Banks. 
I labeled him an *sshole, but he was more than that. Arrogant. Smug. Alpha. 

He was also to-die-for gorgeous, and my stepbrother’s fraternity brother. 

Okay, yes I was a little naive, a tad bit socially awkward, and the smallest amount of stalker-ish, but if Caden Banks thought he could tell me what to do, he had another thing coming. 

I came to college with daydreams about being with my stepbrother, but what if I fell for the anti-stepbrother instead?

There was quite a bit of hype surrounding this book so I decided to give it a read. I wish that I would have spent my time reading something that I would have enjoyed more. I know that I am in the minority with this book so hopefully I don't get too much hate for this review. 

Anti-Stepbrother started off interesting enough. We are introduced to Summer who followed her stepbrother to college  because she is in love with him. She has a run in with his fraternity brother whom she is attracted to as well. This continues on with relationships growing, falling apart, and changing. I think that if the book would have continued to center on the relationship dynamics between Summer, Caden, and Kevin I would have enjoyed it more and it would have received a higher rating from me. 

Eventually, I just got tired of Summer's whining.  Add to that the fact that issues within families in the story as well as with main characters that were not even hinted at became the focus later in the book. I hate it when authors do this! If a character is going to have a trauma or trial to deal with in the book make it known early on. I'm sorry but you cannot just spring an issue on a reader. It throws off the flow of the story and can make things confusing and hard to read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment