Tuesday, December 17, 2019

The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy #1) by Katherine Arden

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

At the edge of the Russian wilderness, winter lasts most of the year and the snowdrifts grow taller than houses. But Vasilisa doesn't mind—she spends the winter nights huddled around the embers of a fire with her beloved siblings, listening to her nurse's fairy tales. Above all, she loves the chilling story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon, who appears in the frigid night to claim unwary souls. Wise Russians fear him, her nurse says, and honor the spirits of house and yard and forest that protect their homes from evil.

After Vasilisa's mother dies, her father goes to Moscow and brings home a new wife. Fiercely devout, city-bred, Vasilisa's new stepmother forbids her family from honoring the household spirits. The family acquiesces, but Vasilisa is frightened, sensing that more hinges upon their rituals than anyone knows.

And indeed, crops begin to fail, evil creatures of the forest creep nearer, and misfortune stalks the village. All the while, Vasilisa's stepmother grows ever harsher in her determination to groom her rebellious stepdaughter for either marriage or confinement in a convent.

As danger circles, Vasilisa must defy even the people she loves and call on dangerous gifts she has long concealed—this, in order to protect her family from a threat that seems to have stepped from her nurse's most frightening tales.

I was immediately entranced by the atmosphere that the author was able to create. I was skeptical of people who had said to read this in the winter because the author makes you feel as if you are within that season in the book. It is absolutely true! I found that I had to have a space heater on because the author describes the hardships of winter for the characters in the book so well. 

The Bear and the Nightingale never seemed to go in directions that I thought that it would and I loved the unpredictability of it. There was still a great progression to the book and held my interest throughout. Vasilisa was a great main character that helped to drive the story forward. I loved her strength and wildness but I hated how she was described as being ugly so much. It bothered me that she was seen as having little to no value because she was not seen as beautiful and docile. I have to give the author credit for making me hate the way that society was at that time because I wouldn't have fully understood Vasilisa's perspective as well as I did without it. 

Early on in the book, the author makes it known that religion old and new is a part of the culture of the time in the story. I thought that this aspect of the book might make it hard for me to continue reading the book. I don't tend to enjoy preachy books but luckily I found the book exciting and fantastical even with the religious aspect. It adds more depth to the book and adds in unlikely villains

I had never read any kind of Russian folklore or fairy tales before this book but The Bear and the Nightingale has me wanting to read many more. I am hoping that I will enjoy the next book in the series as much if not more than this one. I would add that if you enjoy historical fiction or fairy tales or are looking for a way to begin reading either of the genres then you would probably enjoy The Bear and the Nightingale. 









No comments:

Post a Comment