Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Caliban's War (The Expanse #2) by James S.A. Corey


🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

We are not alone.

On Ganymede, breadbasket of the outer planets, a Martian marine watches as her platoon is slaughtered by a monstrous supersoldier. On Earth, a high-level politician struggles to prevent interplanetary war from reigniting. And on Venus, an alien protomolecule has overrun the planet, wreaking massive, mysterious changes and threatening to spread out into the solar system.

In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun . . .

Caliban's War is a breakneck science fiction adventure following the critically acclaimed Leviathan Wakes.

I was extremely happy to see that there were some new perspectives in Caliban's War including some of my favorite characters of the series (Bobby and Chrisjen Avasarala). I have been religiously watching The Expanse TV show since my husband got me addicted to it and have recently begun reading the book series. If you enjoy the show then it is pretty much a guarantee that you will love the books the show is based on. I really liked the first book but found that Holden and Miller were a bit bland and found my mind wandering somewhat during the book. That was not the case with Caliban's War! I loved reading Bobby and Chrisjen Avasarala's points of view. I also surprised myself with being interested in Prax's point of view even though he didn't do much for me in the show. It is important to keep in mind that characters and some of the situations in the book differ greatly from the show. For instance, Chrisjen Avasarala is even more of a spitfire and well....even more of a politician if you know what I mean.

I loved how there were so many action packed scenes as well as more political intrigue. I know that quite a few people think that the plot in Caliban's War is similar if not the same as the first book in the series and I agree somewhat. I suppose the crew of the Rossi are again going on a mission to find out more regarding the protomolecule which has them some into contact with a missing persons case again. I think that there was a different feel to this book though. I feel it was a great continuation of the story giving readers more clues and perspectives from people racing to figure everything out and have the most control and power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment