Tuesday, July 2, 2019

What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum


🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Two struggling teenagers find an unexpected connection just when they need it most.

Sometimes a new perspective is all that is needed to make sense of the world.

KIT: I don’t know why I decide not to sit with Annie and Violet at lunch. It feels like no one here gets what I’m going through. How could they? I don’t even understand.

DAVID: In the 622 days I’ve attended Mapleview High, Kit Lowell is the first person to sit at my lunch table. I mean, I’ve never once sat with someone until now. “So your dad is dead,” I say to Kit, because this is a fact I’ve recently learned about her. 

When an unlikely friendship is sparked between relatively popular Kit Lowell and socially isolated David Drucker, everyone is surprised, most of all Kit and David. Kit appreciates David’s blunt honesty—in fact, she finds it bizarrely refreshing. David welcomes Kit’s attention and her inquisitive nature. When she asks for his help figuring out the how and why of her dad’s tragic car accident, David is all in. But neither of them can predict what they’ll find. Can their friendship survive the truth?

I loved this book so much! I thought that the author did a great job of portraying a character that is autistic. It wasn't romanticized but it was shown to be something difficult that can make relating to peers difficult. David was my favorite character in the story by far because he was so real. He had struggles but also successes. He is a great example of how just because someone is coping with an issue like autism, it doesn't mean that they are worth less than others. He is able to contribute through his honesty, heart, and intelligence. I loved seeing his growth throughout the story which the author also did well portraying. It is not a magical, quick fix but rather a very slow and realistic progression.

I also thought that Kit was a great example of grief and how it can take many forms for each individual. Everyone around her expects her to move on and to be her old self but to her losing her father feels like it just happened no matter the length of time. The author makes her feelings on the matter apparent in such a way that in reading it readers can feel the emotions as if they were their own. 

I think that it will be easy for readers to relate to each of these characters if they have ever felt that they were different or have lost someone close to them. The author handles both of the main characters issues delicately but also pushes readers to feel different emotions and understand the characters in a way that can be painful to read. I loved the author's writing and will continue to read her novels as she has no let me down yet with her books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment