Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) by Mark Lawrence

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I was born for killing – the gods made me to ruin.

At the Convent of Sweet Mercy young girls are raised to be killers. In a few the old bloods show, gifting talents rarely seen since the tribes beached their ships on Abeth. Sweet Mercy hones its novices’ skills to deadly effect: it takes ten years to educate a Red Sister in the ways of blade and fist.

But even the mistresses of sword and shadow don’t truly understand what they have purchased when Nona Grey is brought to their halls as a bloodstained child of eight, falsely accused of murder: guilty of worse.

Stolen from the shadow of the noose, Nona is sought by powerful enemies, and for good reason. Despite the security and isolation of the convent her secret and violent past will find her out. Beneath a dying sun that shines upon a crumbling empire, Nona Grey must come to terms with her demons and learn to become a deadly assassin if she is to survive…

This book was insane! I should have expected it considering the summary talks about killer nuns but Red Sister still rocked my world! This is my first Mark Lawrence book and I will be reading more of his work after this. 
It wasn't quite as action-packed as I had expected but when there were action scenes....wow!!! I still really enjoyed Nona's journey even without much action. When the book begins she is a small child that is taken from her home to be sold. She is still naive in some ways, being a child, but understands some of the ways of the world. As she gets older, she is taken to Sweet Mercy as the summary implies and learns skills in the art of killing. I don't always enjoy the "special school" trope but I do love assassin schools because it makes the story more interesting. I thought that Nona was an interesting character. She was complex for so young a person. She grows a lot over the course of the book and really comes into herself and her skills. 
The glimpses of the present were interesting touches. Although, I thought that it was obvious who the person was. You'll have to read the book to know what I'm talking about. I liked how the author stuck with story lines and didn't add too many elements to the plot that would distract or confuse readers. It was clear who the villains were and what their motives were. The author didn't focus too much on other characters but gave enough to enjoy the personalities and differences in them. The author is not afraid of bloodshed or harm to children or animals so you have been warned. If those types of things are bothersome to you then you probably shouldn't read this book. If, however, you enjoy strong female characters who kick some serious butt with magic abilities thrown into the mix then I would highly recommend Red Sister!


No comments:

Post a Comment