Monday, April 22, 2019

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟


I am not one for the classics. I think that this is because I had to read so many in school and it tainted the experience of reading them. I have been seeing a lot of booktubers and reviewers reading the classics and it made me curious. I wasn't sure what I was in the mood to read the other day but when I found the audio book of Pride and Prejudice I thought that it would be a good introduction to the classics. I have seen pretty much every movie adaptation of this book and thought that listening might help me to get through the book easier as well. 

When the audio book began, I discovered that I wasn't a huge fan of the narrator. The words that were emphasized in the dialogue seemed odd to me and it seemed like the narrator's accent was fake. I don't know if she was trying too hard or if there are so many audio book versions of the book that the narrator wanted to stand out. 

I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the book quite a bit. It turns out that the movies that have been made are fairly good adaptations so there were not many surprises in the book. Besides some differences in the dialogue which I assume were to make Pride and Prejudice more relatable for viewers the movies are very similar. I did think that Elizabeth and Darcy are easier to sympathize with in the movies. Elizabeth seems much more immature in the book and Darcy appears a bit haughtier. It was interesting to see them interact with each other in the original context and to have more background information on more of the characters. It made me hate Lady Katherine even more than I did when I watch the movies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment