Friday, April 12, 2019

Back to Me by Brittany Taylor

🌟🌟🌟🌟 🌓out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟


Sara: 
I've been in love with my best friend, Graham, for six years. The only problem is, he doesn't know it. 
I've done everything to live the life I've wanted for myself. Get out of the small town I grew up in, graduate college with an art degree, and become assistant to one of Dallas' most prominent artists. 
But despite my small successes, I still feel an empty hole burning inside me. A desire for the one man who always manages to leave me breathless. 
Maybe it was time to tell Graham how I felt.
But how could we live a happy life when a chance encounter from the past continues to haunt me, threatening to destroy everything?

Graham:
I've been in love with Sara for as long as I can remember. Regardless of my insatiable need to keep her close, I haven't been able to tell her.
Why? Because she deserves someone better, someone who could lay the world at her feet. 
Instead, I'm a man filled with a life of regret and who can only promise her an unstable future. 
But when an opportunity with the Dallas Museum of Art comes my way, I can’t help but wonder if this is it: The way to finally make her mine. A chance to tell her how I feel and show her the kind of man I could be. I'm just hoping that after six years of keeping my love a secret, there aren't others standing between us and the perfect life I've dreamed of.

I was fortunate enough to win a copy of Back to Me through an author group (Cohorts) on Facebook. When I read the synopsis for the book, I knew that I wanted to read it. I'm a sucker for a friends to lovers romance. This also has the most beautiful cover I have seen in a while and I love how it coincides with the story rather than just being another pretty cover. 

I wouldn't say that it is rare for me to like both characters in a duel point of view romance but I will say that I don't usually love them both. That wasn't the case for this book. I loved both Graham and Sara but for different reasons. I appreciated the vulnerability and tenderness that Graham had. He was a sensitive guy who appeared to be anxious in a variety of settings. I found that I was rooting for him to get the girl and have his dream made real. I also cared about Sara because she had so much quiet strength and passion. This might sound weird but I also enjoyed her as a character due to her imperfections. I loved how she wasn't perfect like I feel so many heroines in romance are portrayed to be. 

The author does a fantastic job of leaving breadcrumbs and foreshadowing of things to come later in the story. I loved this because I knew that there was the potential for certain issues to manifest or escalate later on in the book. Problems don't just randomly pop up in the story with no reference point whatsoever. The was a moment for me towards the middle of the book where I became nervous about what direction the book would take. I was nervous that the author might fall into using a typical plot point that bothers me in the genre. I won't say what it was because it would spoil a major point in the book. She surprised me and took the book in a direction I wasn't expecting which made me enjoy the book even more. I gained so much respect and appreciation for the author at that point because she was creative enough to do so.  


This is the first book that I have read from this author but I will definitely be keeping an eye out for any other books that she has written because I really enjoyed this one.  I would highly recommend Back to Me for fans of the romance genre.








No comments:

Post a Comment