Monday, March 25, 2019

Sadie by Courtney Summers

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

A missing girl on a journey of revenge. A Serial―like podcast following the clues she's left behind. And an ending you won't be able to stop talking about.

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray―a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America―overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. Sadie is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page.


I was hesitant to read Sadie for two reasons. One, there was a ton of hype surrounding the book and when that happens I want to turn away from what is popular and read something less known or that I haven't heard about before. The second reason I wasn't sure that I wanted to attempt to read Sadie was because while I have enjoyed Courtney Summer's writing in the past I haven't loved it. After I thought about it I set it aside and went on to read other novels. 

Then I came across a review of the book where the reviewer said that the audio book of Sadie was amazing because it can be read like a podcast and that there is a cast of characters. I've realized that in order for me to be interested in an audio book it either has to be a memoir or have a certain style not unlike World War Z that reads like a documentary that has a cast of characters. The reviewer gave it such a glowing review that I thought "why not?". 

I am so upset with myself that I almost didn't read this book! Sadie has got to be my favorite book of 2019 thus far!! I gravitated towards Sadie right away. I was drawn into her life filled with pain and loss. She is driven by revenge for herself and for her sister. It is easy to see why she keeps going on the path that her journey takes her on no matter how dangerous or arduous it is. Her life revolved around her sister and gave her a purpose she might not have had otherwise. My heart broke for her so many times and I wanted someone to hear her....to save her. 

West McCray added another level to this gut-wrenching novel by hvaing even more tension. My heart raced faster and faster as the end of the book drew near and I believe it was because throughout the book West is chasing after Sadie trying to understand what motivated her to leave. It is easy to see that in the beginning he may not have been very invested in Sadie's story but by the end he has this drive to find her and save her from herself and others. West's portions of the book revealed other characters points of view and and the versions of Sadie that they each got to behold which I found fascinating. 

The voice acting in this audio book was superb! The woman who voiced Sadie was amazing with the way that she made the stutter sound so authentic. I could almost hear the desperation in her voice to want to physically force the words from her mind and out of her mouth. I appreciated the others who contributed to the book especially the man who voiced West but the voice of Sadie stole the show for me. 

I feel like I can't end this review without talking about that ending! As I neared the end of the book I became extremely nervous. My emotions had been on high alert the whole way through from anger to sobbing and I knew that this book was not going to have a simple ending to it. I kept telling myself that there better be a happy ending or I was going to be really upset with the author. I know that some people are saying that they despised the ending and gave the book a lower rating because of it. That is where I have to disagree with them. While it wasn't the ending that I had in mind and I have a major book hangover from reading the book, I have to say that the ending was appropriate. I thought about the book in its entirety, Sadie's journey both physically and emotionally, and where I think she might have expected to end up for a while after finishing the book. I came to the conclusion that with all that I learned about Sadie from reading and what others saw in her that the ending of the book was fitting. I'm not saying that I love it but it makes sense. 

I HIGHLY recommend this book but if you are planning to read it not only would I recommend the audio book as it is amazing but also be prepared to have an intense emotional reaction. (In other words bring tissues)







No comments:

Post a Comment