Sunday, March 24, 2019

Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children #1) by Seanan McGuire

🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children
No Solicitations
No Visitors
No Quests

Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.

But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.

Nancy tumbled once, but now she’s back. The things she’s experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West’s care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.

But Nancy’s arrival marks a change at the Home. There’s a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it’s up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of the matter.

No matter the cost.

I absolutely love it when authors take fairy tales and spin them! It is so interesting when authors are able to take a classic story and flip it so that it is completely different but still has elements of familiarity to it. 

Sean McGuire proved to be up the the task of writing a book that does just that. I thought that the idea of a rehab or treatment center of sorts for people that have been to fairy tale worlds and have some back was genius. It wasn't something that I have read or even heard of before. It was refreshingly unique to be introduced to a world like this. It was a bit confusing at the start of the book to understand nonsense vs. logic worlds etc. but I enjoyed the distinctness of it. 

I loved all of the characters but I found myself drawn more to the secondary characters. I wanted to know more about Kade because readers don't really get to know much about him or his life before coming to live at the home for wayward children. He intrigued me but more than anything I found myself drawn towards Jack and Jill the most. They were such strange and unusual characters. I thought that the twists and turns the author implemented to their original story were inspired. I LOVED it! I'm so excited that they will get their own book because I just want more of them!

If you are looking for a shorter read (about 168 pages) that will excite and make you think about gender issues than this book is the one for you. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment