Thursday, January 23, 2020

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) by Patrick Rothfuss



🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.

The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king form a gripping coming-of-age story unrivaled in recent literature.


I need someone to explain to me why so many people love this book so much. I'm so confused about the hype and why readers think that this is one of the best fantasy books ever written.

I found my mind wandering and becoming bored so often while I was reading. I am convinced that the only reason I finished was because it was a book club book and I was already half way through such a hefty novel and it felt like a waste not to finish it.

Name of the Wind wasn't a bad book by any means. It was well written and I enjoyed Kvothe as a character. He was damaged and continued to suffer at the hands of others because he refused to back down and submit. The book was interesting in its own way. However, it read like a memoir or diary that absolutely nothing happened in. I felt like I was some kind of sidekick following the main character around and being told to sit to the side while he took care of business. I wanted more action and adventure. There were three moments in the story where I thought that the book might take a turn and I would become more invested but even the small bits of action felt bland and unmemorable.

I wanted to love this book so much and I'm disappointed that I didn't. I don't think that I will continue the series which is somewhat of a relief considering that the author seems to have stopped writing it. I'm glad that I don't have to suffer like the readers that are still waiting for the third book. 


1 comment:

  1. Here's what I thought about it nine years ago: https://sueysbooks.blogspot.com/2011/05/review-name-of-wind-by-patrick-rothfuss.html I didn't manage a re-read this time, so I don't know how it would have held up over time for me. But yeah. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete