Sunday, August 11, 2019

Foundryside (Founders #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett


🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Sancia Grado is a thief, and a damn good one. And her latest target, a heavily guarded warehouse on Tevanne’s docks, is nothing her unique abilities can’t handle. 
 
But unbeknownst to her, Sancia’s been sent to steal an artifact of unimaginable power, an object that could revolutionize the magical technology known as scriving. The Merchant Houses who control this magic--the art of using coded commands to imbue everyday objects with sentience--have already used it to transform Tevanne into a vast, remorseless capitalist machine. But if they can unlock the artifact’s secrets, they will rewrite the world itself to suit their aims. 
 
Now someone in those Houses wants Sancia dead, and the artifact for themselves. And in the city of Tevanne, there’s nobody with the power to stop them. 
 
To have a chance at surviving—and at stopping the deadly transformation that’s under way—Sancia will have to marshal unlikely allies, learn to harness the artifact’s power for herself, and undergo her own transformation, one that will turn her into something she could never have imagined.

I guarantee that you have probably never read a book like Foundryside. I didn't know much information about the book before reading other than the main character was something of a thief. I'm glad that I went into the book basically blind and I think that it made the story so much more of an adventure. Since I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I want more people to read it, I will give a bit of a tease about the world the story takes place in. There are four main merchant houses that have control as a sort of council or ruling class. They have control over a kind of magic called scribing which entails using coded commands to change everyday objects with sentience. This makes for an extremely interesting world and interactions between characters from different parts of society. The main character, Sancia, steals something rare and valuable and now what seems like the entire world is chasing after her in order to have the object and the power it represents for themselves.

I thought that the stolen object in particular was a fascinating part of the story and something I had never seen in a book before. It was so new to me that it was disorienting. I felt like I had to change my mindset in order to continue reading because it was so strange. I thought that the story was thought provoking and a visual feast. I could picture all of the author's descriptions with vivid detail in my mind. I also thought that the pacing was well done. There were no moments in the book where I felt that the book was slow or drawn out. It wasn't too fast paced but just right in my mind. I thought that the characters were fleshed out well and were complex enough to give the story meaning that added to the plot. I can't wait to read the next installment. I'm just disappointed I have to wait until next year to get my hands on it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment