Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1) by Douglas Adams

🌟🌟🌓 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.

Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox—the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years.

This book was a lot shorter than I thought it would be so you'd think that it would be a breeze to read through....and you'd be wrong. While I thought that the concept was interesting, I found it very hard to pay attention while reading this book. I had thought that it would have me in stitches while I was reading it. I chuckled a few times but there weren't really any laugh out loud moments. The author's writing style was very dry and it didn't really appeal to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I think the movie is hilarious but I tried the book once and couldn’t get into it. We’re reading it for book club so I might try it again but I don’t have high hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the book is pretty dry. The writing is bad, but the story is fun.

    ReplyDelete